Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rough Day.

I knew that moving to Cottonwood would be a big change, in fact I even knew that i would have tons of major adjustments to make. I thought that i had prepared myself for what was in store for the next two years....I say this through tearing up eyes...I was not even close to prepared.



I have spent the entire week cleaning my room (which was perfectly clean by my Fathers standards) and i still have a ways to go. I have tried to describe the conditions of my room to some of my friends but i don't think that i quite got the point across. Today I finally reached my breaking point. I Have done well up to this point in my opinion, I have kept positive and repeated the saying...Rome was not built in a day. I guess i will give you a little back ground to what has lead up to my melt down.

My original goal was to JUST clean my room so that i could start moving my stuff in and get settled. I said this because i knew that tackling the whole house would be completely unrealistic. My Dad has become quite the bachelor. By this I mean he is incapable of seeing dirt, cobwebs, bugs, dust, grime, clutter, and cat hair. In his defence, he is legally blind in one eye and his eye sight continues to get worse. As for the smells of the house, he has no excuse. He hasn't quite grasped the concept of mildew. He will put a load of wash in and then forget about it. After a few days he might need to wash something else and so he finds the forgotten laundry. Not realizing that it has grown a few friends, he puts it in the dryer as if it was just washed. Unfortunately a few laundry sheets will disguise the smell just enough so not to notice. That's when you get the nice surprise of getting out of the shower and snuggling your wet face into a stank mildew towel! Poor man, i don't know how he has made it this long with out a woman's influence.

Day 1 :
I started with my bathroom. It was safe, (so i thought) small, and totally do-able. I crawled into the tub pants rolled up, bleach in hand, and went to work. The grime and calcium build up put up quite the fight but i was determined to win. Then i noticed that the water wasn't draining for some reason. As i got close I saw a big black object clogging most of the drain. Who knows what it could be, a hair ball, a sock, anything is possible. So I tried to push down the stopper when i heard a loud "CRUNCH" and simultaneously a long harry leg starts flailing from the black glob! I screamed when i realized that it was a HUGE brown recluse spider. I crunched it a few more times and doused it in bleach, just so that i could be sure it was dead. After that it was just bug after bug, spider after spider. They were everywhere in my room! I took a shop vac and tried to vacuum every corner and crevice. All of which were infested with massive cobwebs, dirt, and spiders.
Day 2-4:
I had trouble sleeping because i kept feeling little critters run across me throughout the night. I thought that i was just my imagination and tried to convince myself to relax and let it go. Well, it wasn't my imagination. I woke up covered in bites ranging from in between my toes to my scalp. Awesome...
Trying not to scratch, I began my cleaning expedition again! Even though i had worked all the day before, my room still looked awful:( ....Rome was not built in a day. Here I go.

Windows (count 7 including sliding glass door): de-gritify 6 years of never being cleaned. Windex how i love thee

Ledges: Scrape off dried cat vomit in 4 different locations. Scrub of dirt and dust. Clorox wipes how i love thee

Organize the Many antiques Daddy decorated my room with.... As well as Bambie hanging from the wall. Sorry dad but the dead deer head has got to go!

Day 5: The Melt Down

Somehow i wish i could describe the extent of all that happen this day but i don't think i can. The cleaning that i have been doing over the last few days has not been any ordinary cleaning job. Believe me, i have cleaned houses to supplement my income and people can be pretty gross. I myself can get really gross, I shed worse than anyone I know. Spending 5 days from morning til night cleaning one room should make just about anyone lose their marbles.
What was the breaking point.....
I am crouched over on my hands and knees scrubbing the floors and behind the toilet. My head is pounding because I have inhaled too much ammonia. My back is solidified in a hunch position. My feet and legs are asleep because I have been sitting on them for hours. Then I look at my fingers, almost every one of my cuticles is bleeding and burning from the products. I start to cry.
Just as I start to wipe the tears away i forget that my hands are covered in ammonia....OUCH!!!!
Now i am in full balling mode and running to the sink to wash my eyes out. I still don't quite know my way around the bathroom and in my panic i ran head first into the wooden cabinet. OUCH!!!! UGH! Finally i get to the sink and rinse out my eyes. I sat on the edge of the bathtub and balled for about 5 minutes and then felt ten times better. As i was collecting my thoughts and gearing up to be positive again, i looked down and saw a spider crawling up my leg.
At this point i just started cracking up and then i flicked him off my shin.

I feel much better after having written this. I know that i will get settled in, school will start, and i will have the time of my life pursuing my dream. Hard days will come, and thankfully I have the Gospel to always make my day better. I am also so thankful to my sister who let me cry on the phone to her. She is the absolute best!
Alright life! I cried and now i am ready to get back in the ring with you! Bring it on:)

2 comments:

  1. Yuck Julie! I guess your dad's house just needs "a woman's touch." Have you seen the movie Calamity Jane? Good luck with all of the cleaning!!! You are one hardcore woman-a brown recluse spider...bleh. All of the gunk is no match for Julie the Clean! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. o my heavens julie! wow. :) you're a REAL woman. goodness. I couldn't do it. I would just leave. Seriously. You ROCK.

    ReplyDelete